Heading South.

Well, about time to leave Chennai. Tonight I'm taking an overnight sleeper to Trichy, then in the morning a bus to Tanjore. I'll just stay the day to check out the temple, then head south to Madurai.
It's been quite the hot day today. As hotels are '24 hour' hotels, you have to pay for an extra day if you go over your arrival time. So I checked out and have been trying to get some stuff done - namely, transfer SD cards to DVD as a backup to my portable hard drive. As my normal competent internet spot wasn't open (though it is now) I went to what looked like another decent place. My mistake. A few hours later I have DVDs, but I don't think that all the files were transferred over - the guys they hire for most of these places know just how to keep hitting 'refresh' to make things 'work'. And I complain about our systems guys? Anyway...complaincomplaincomplain. It was hot in the place, but I'm not there now. My regular place is also not exactly brilliant in speed terms, but the operator does seem to be competent. It's the same place that Greg and I used when we were here in 2000 - it was just opening up with a shared 56k phone line. Now they're 'high-speed', but the young Indian guys come in and just jump from video download to video download to games to chats, and it definitely slows things down.
Anyway, I spent some time on the Broadland rooftop, cooled down a bit and feel ready for some food and and then get over to the Central station for the 10:30 train.

No comments:

Post a Comment